Tooth extractions are one of the most common dental procedures. From removing wisdom teeth to removing teeth that have been damaged through physical trauma, they’re an important part of dental care.
Almost everyone will have a tooth extracted at some point in their lives. Extractions are nothing to be afraid of. The caring and capable team at East Kildonan Dental will guide you through your tooth extraction, ensuring that you’re cared for before, during, and after the procedure.
When To Get a Tooth Extraction
Tooth extractions are a useful procedure in many circumstances. Your dentist may recommend you get a tooth extraction when:
- Your wisdom teeth are impacted, painful and/or are causing other oral health problems
- Your tooth has undergone serious physical trauma and cannot be repaired
- Your tooth has a large amount of decay and cannot be repaired with filling material
- Your tooth has been treated by a root canal or crown, but there’s still pain
- Crowding is causing damage to the surrounding teeth
- You need another dental procedure, like an implant or orthodontic treatment, and an extraction is required to perform the other treatment
In some cases, like wisdom tooth extraction, extracting the tooth is one of the first steps dentists will take. In other cases, like tooth decay, extractions can often be avoided through proper dental care. It’s important to visit your dentist regularly to maintain a healthy smile, and to ensure you have the right treatment plan in place for damaged or decaying teeth.
Benefits of Tooth Extractions
The benefits of a tooth extraction depend on why it’s being performed.
- Wisdom tooth removals can reduce crowding and lessen the need for orthodontic work. They can also make oral health care easier and reduce the risk of cavities and infections.
- Removing a tooth that can’t otherwise be treated can dramatically reduce the risk of infections and can create room for other treatments like bridges and implants. This can make eating easier and improve your general health.
- Removing crowded teeth can reduce the risk of damage to the enamel and can make oral health care easier, reducing the risk of cavities and infections.
Schedule Your Tooth Extraction Today
Need a tooth extraction? Don’t keep living in pain—get in touch with us. The dental team at East Kildonan Dental in Winnipeg can help. Give us a call to schedule an appointment today.